The information below is directly from the website. 

Getting proof of your marriage

Most orders are filled within 2-3 weeks (expedited options are available).

There are many reasons why you may need to provide proof of your marriage, like changing your health insurance or getting a new license.

After your wedding, the officiant should file your marriage license with the city or town clerk in the place where you got it. You can pick up a copy of the license at the Registry of Vital Records in the Executive Office of Health and Human Services (HHS).


You can order a copy of your marriage certificate  online, by phone, by fax, or by mail. Service fees vary depending on how you order it. The original and any certified copy serve as proof of your marriage.

Changing your name and getting a new ID

You can choose to change or keep your name when you get married in Massachusetts. If you’ve chosen to change your name, you should have included the new one when you filled out your marriage license before your wedding. Your name is automatically changed to the one listed on your certificate after your wedding.


After you get a copy of your marriage certificate, you can apply for identification with your new name, including a Social Security cardMassachusetts driver’s license, and U.S. passport. You should get your Social Security card first, because the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) will check your Social Security number when you apply for a new license.


Once you have a new license, you should also update your voter registration with your new name to avoid any issues at your polling place. If you’re taking your honeymoon right away or soon after your wedding, you might want to wait until after you get back to get all of your IDs changed over. The names on all of your documents, including plane tickets, need to match.


Keep in mind that you may also need to change your name with other organizations, including your employer, health insurer, bank, and more.