What paperwork do I need to get married in Massachusetts?

There's a 3-day waiting period once you apply for a marriage license. The license is valid for 60 days once you have it.

You need to have a marriage license to get married in the Bay State. You can apply for a license from any city or town in the state — it doesn’t have to be from the town where you live or where your ceremony will be.

You should contact your city or town clerk to find out exactly what you and your future spouse need to do to get a marriage license, but in general, before your wedding you’ll need to:

  • Fill out a Notice of Intention of Marriage Form — You and your future spouse will need to go in person to your city or town clerk to fill out this form. You’ll need to provide:

    • Proof of your age, such as a birth certificate or passport

    • Your Social Security number

    • Payment for fees, which vary by town

    • The name you’ll use after the wedding if you’ve decided to change it

  • Pick up Your Marriage License — There is a required 3-day waiting period before you can pick up your marriage license. In some cases, you can apply for a marriage without delay at the probate or district court in the town where you submitted your notice to waive this period. The license is valid for 60 days. If you’re not married within 60 days of the date the license was granted, you’ll need to apply for it again.

  • Give Your License to the Person Conducting the Ceremony — After you’re married, your officiant must sign and return the license to the city or town clerk who issued it before the 60-day time period is up.

Where can I get married in Massachusetts?

If you’d like to have your ceremony here in the Bay State, there are hundreds of beautiful venues to fit every couple’s personality and budget. The Massachusetts Office of Travel and Tourism (MOTT) provides some highlights on their wedding venue ideas page.


In addition, many Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) parks are happy to accommodate small wedding ceremonies, and a limited number of parks can accommodate larger weddings, as long as you get a special use permit for the day. Contact the park you’re interested in for availability and additional information.

Who can conduct my wedding in Massachusetts

In-state Clergy Member - If you'd like to be married by a member of the clergy who lives in Massachusetts, they are most likely already authorized to perform the ceremony. However, if they haven't performed a marriage in the state before, they'll need to file 3 forms with the Commissions Section of the Public Records Division

In-State Justice of the Peace - Justices of the Peace are appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Executive Council, and some are authorized to perform marriages. Contact your city or town clerk for more information if you'd like to be married by a Justice of the Peace. 

Out-of-state Clergy Member of Justice of the Peace - Clergy members or Justices of the Peace who are authorized in other states to perform marriages have to file the non-resident,out of state clergy petition to get a certificate to officiate your ceremony. They shouldn't file the application more than 6 weeks before your wedding day. Once your officiant-to-be gets the certificate  which is usually about 2-4 weeks after applying, they have to file it with the city or town clerk that will issue your marriage license within 10 days of the ceremony. 

Anyone with a 1-day Designation - If you'd like a friend or a family member to officiate your wedding, they can apply for a 1-day designation. They must fill out an application online or by mail from 6 months to 1 week before your wedding date. There is no residency requirements for 1-day designations. 

I want to hire you! What happens next?

Yay! Thank you! I am so excited! After you decide that you'd like to hire me for your services, We would schedule our initial consultation. Before COVID, We would meet face-to-face, but due to the pandemic, initial consultations will be done via video calls and these are free of charge. 

If you do decide to hire me, we would schedule a video/phone call where I get to learn a little more about the two of you and your relationship. This is done so that I can better write your perfect ceremony. 

After I get to know you, I will create a draft of the ceremony, email it to you for review, edit if I need to, and return for your final approval. 

On the day of your ceremony, I will arrive about an hour early to coordinate with your bridal party, coordinator and any other vendor that I need to coordinate with. 

It is the couples responsibility to obtain their marriage license before the wedding. Please remember to bring it the day of the wedding! I will sign the license and file with the proper office. 

All of this information and more, can be found on the Mass.gov website